Saturday, November 21, 2009

I'm There with FC12 (Fedora Core 12) and IBM desktop apps :)

Well it was a journey of a Linux freak . I lost the data in my entire TP. Thank heavens, I had my backup done in my USB HDD.

It all started up with FC12 The installation went fine, I didn't take a chance with putting ext4 file system on /boot partition as it was not working on FC11. The installation went fine and I got the IBM layer installed on it. Thanks to Grant Williamson for making appropriate packages available in the IBM yum repo. He was too good with his support. I was happy except that the mouse pointer was slow after the installation of the IBM layer. I tuned it through the Gnome preferences. Thanks Srini for the autoten repo to make the nonfree stuff working . Everything was set up and I was ready to click the Lotus notes icon. To my surprise nothing really happened. I tried the command line notes85.sh and it failed telling that the libnotes.so is not able to create a stack.

Phew!! the entire work has gone on a toss. I checked the logs and it showed that the Selinux is giving some permission errors. I turned the Selinux policy to permissive and then restarted notes. It worked like a charm!! :).

Now came the next issue. The Clearcase client which was running fine on FC11 has started giving me some errors. It started telling me that the libswt-mozilla-gtk-3236.so has some undefined symbol _ZN4nsID5ParseEPKc. Hmm.. I know what it means :-P. I got the xulrunner-devel package installed and made clearcase happy.

I haven't tried KDE yet. I want to keep up suspense and excitement, and gift me a surprise.

Here are my favourite apps, Being a hardcore KDE fan some of the apps below may not work well with Gnome.

Chat/IM - empathy/pidgin/sametime
IRC - Konversation
Password management - Kwallet
Personal Finance - kmymoney
Email - Lotus Notes / thunderbird
Twitter Microblogging - choqok
Notes - Tomboy/Kjots
Editor - vim/gedit/kate
Browser - Firefox/chrome/seamonkey
Music - amarok/rhythmbox
Other tools- rsibreak,digikam,gimp,picasa
IDE - Rational Application Developer/Eclipse

No comments: